Is Luke Really Kylo Ren in disguise?
No he isn’t. Kinda.
Since the release of the third and final The Force Awakens trailer, the internet seems to have gone crazy multiple ways. The trailer broke the record for most amount of views in a single day with 128 million. Advanced ticket sales for the film which went on sale as the trailer released also smashed the previous record for The Hunger Games eight times over.
Everything seemed right in a galaxy far far away until a disturbance in the force was felt in the days following the trailer’s release. As great as the trailers are, the one complaint has been the total lack of all things, Luke Skywalker. You know, the main character from the original trilogy.
As rabid fanboys tried to make sense of this apparent oversight a crazy fan theory started to make it’s way through the internet. Maybe Luke has been hiding in plain sight all along! Maybe he’s really Kylo Ren in disguise!
According to supporters of the theory the evidence is overwhelming. (it isn’t and SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!)
- Kylo walks around in a black hood and robes just as Luke wore in Return of the Jedi.
- Who else would have the knowledge to build their very own lightsaber as Kylo Ren clearly has, except for Luke?
- Kylo appears to be in possession of Vader’s burnt and melted mask. Only Luke would know the location of Vader’s mask since he was the last to see Vader’s body as he burned it on a giant funeral pyre.
- Luke has been tempted to turn to the dark side before and a tendency to do so kinda does run in his family. 30 years is plenty of time to fall off the wagon.
- In a perfectly planned coincidence, days after the trailers release video footage of a conversation between Mark Hamill and J.J Abrams appeared on the internet where Hamill pitches the idea of an evil Luke to the future director of the franchise 10 full years ago.
- In the wiped away Star Wars expanded continuity, there was a story line where Luke did indeed go over to the dark side. However studio execs have said on record that because of the depth of material in the expanded universe it would nearly impossible to disregard it completely and that some story elements from 30 years of books may still make it into the new films.
- J.J. Abrams has pulled off fake outs before. Noticeably in Star Trek Into Darkness where he secretly cast Benedict Cumberbatch as Kahn, but instead publicized him as a new character named John Harrison.
- In the new trailer Kylo mentions he wishes to finished the work that Vader has started. Which fans of the theory say Luke all of the sudden now wants to do.
- Although Adam Driver has been cast as Kylo Ren, he could merely be the actor in the suit for the much older Mark Hammil in the same way David Prowess played Darth Vader who was voiced by James Earl Jones.
- Others admit Kylo Ren may just be a secret apprentice of Luke who has trained him in the ways of the force.
- Disney doesn’t want to give such a major plot twist like Luke being the main villain away so they’ve buried the revelation deep in the promotional materials while also hiding it in plain sight.
As you can see, the evidence behind Luke Skywalker-Kylo Ren connection is pretty weak.
There are also numerous reasons why Luke Skywalker isn’t Kylo Ren but instead of going over every obvious detail why I’ll just let the following two pictures do the talking. The first a officially released photo from the Star Wars: The Force Awakens issue of Vanity Fair. The other a leaked picture of Mark Hamill taking promotional photos in full costume.
Ok, can we move on?
However another more recently leaked picture of Luke from the actually film is a bit more interesting.
Again, obviously not Kylo. But what’s interesting is that over the years, Luke’s cybernetic hand has become much more primitive in appearance. I normally I would just write this off as creative license and pay it no mind. This is very good confirmation we have seen Luke in the trailer’s as he’s the one reaching out to touch R2-D2 that’s been shown a couple times now.
In the words of Yoda, “another, there is.”
In a previous article written almost a year ago, I thoroughly examined leaked Force Awakens concept art and went deep on this guy. At the time I was pretty sure we were looking at the reconstructed remains of none other than the Emperor himself. As he was clearly on a Star Destroyer, cloaked in black, partially destroyed and heavily rebuilt with cybernetics, and longingly gazing at the smoking gun of Vader’s charred helmet who else could it be?
It was a good guess at the time but doesn’t seem to hold up now. (I totally nailed Jakku though) Some have speculated that this could somehow be Anakin reborn, or Supreme Leader Snoke as played by motion capture genius Andy Serkis. It’s been confirmed that it was Snoke’s voice we hear talking about an awakening of the force in the first trailer after all.
I currently think this is just early concept art for Kylo Ren. The latest trailer put Kylo on the bridge of a Star Destroyer followed quickly by a glimpse of Vader’s destroyed mask as seen in the concept art above. Everything matches except for the character design which changes often in the early stages of production.
But look at this guy’s hand, known simply as the Grave Robber on the internet . It looks ALOT like Luke’s mechanical hand. Like identical.
In the third trailer we finally hear Kylo Ren speak for the first time as he talks about finishing what Vader started while looking at Vader’s burnt mask. We presume it’s Kylo looking at it but let’s remember we don’t actually see them in the same frame. It could be that Vader’s mask is entirely in somebody else’s possession.
The question is what unfinished work of Vader’s is Kylo Ren vowing to finish? On my initial breakdown of the trailer I took the quote at face value that Kylo was intent on restoring peace to the galaxy through the iron fist of his rule. But the more I think of it, the more sinister I believe Kylo’s intentions are.
Think about it. Yes ending the Rebellion and regaining control over the galaxy was a main goal of the Empire, Palpatine and Darth Vader through the original trilogy. But beginning in the Empire Strikes Back, Vader had a new goal. To capture and turn Luke to the dark side as a key cog in their plan for galactic domination. Remember that both the Emperor and Obi-Wan foresaw that Luke would one day become a powerful Jedi. More powerful than Luke could even imagine. If you’ve had your ear open to the latest coming out of the rumor mill there’s a good chance that this may have happened to Luke after he events in Return of the Jedi, as he’s become force crazy and gone into hiding for fear of what he’s capable of.
This would be a way to keep many of the familiar themes going from the previous movies while raising the stakes. What’s the most powerful weapon you could posses in the galaxy? A fully operational battle station reincarnated? Or a force mad Jedi turned Sith?
Another interesting piece of leaked concept art from last year shows what appears to be Rey discovering what know appears to be Luke in seclusion hidden in a cave. The walls look a lot like the ones behind Luke in the leaked picture above too for further proof.
The composition of the piece clearly shows that Luke is caught between the light and dark sides of the force. Interesting don’t you think?
One thing is certain.
Luke Skywalker is not Kylo Ren.
But that does not mean he may not be joining his side by the time the movie ends.
What do you think? Is Luke really Kylo? Or is Kylo really Luke? Will Luke go over to the dark side? Explain your thoughts in the comments section below.