Ultimate Facts: Paranormal Activity
– Paranormal Activity was released on September 25, 2009.
– Runtime: 86 minutes.
– Produced by Blumhouse Productions.
– Written and directed by Oren Peli.
– Paranormal Activity is Oren Peli‘s directorial debut.
– With a budget of 15,000 Paranormal Activity made 193.4 million dollars at the box office.
– Paranormal Activity is the the second most profitable film ever made based on a return of investment. The most profitable is The Blair Witch Project which cost $22,000 and made $240.5 Million)Paramount bought the domestic distribution rights for the film and any sequels for $300,000.
– For the films’ premiere Katie and Micah purposely stayed away from the screening to lead credence to the fact they were supposed to be dead.
– Katie Featherston is the only actress to appear in all of the films in the series.
– The actors weren’t given scripts but were instead given guidelines on how to behave or what to discuss in their scenes.
– The film has three alternate endings.
– In the original ending Katie returns the bedroom in a bloody trance holding the knife she kills Micah with. A neighbors discovers Micah’s body and calls the cops who arrive and shine a light on Katie. She comes at them and a started cop shoots her dead.
– In the 2nd version Katie returns to face the camera after killing Micah and slits her throat.
– The 3rd ending had Katie beating Micah to death his his camera, all from the camera’s point of view. It was proposed but never shot.
– Steven Spielberg had to stop watching the film halfway through on a home screener as he was genuinely spooked by the experience. While watching the film all the doors in his bedroom supposedly locked for no reason. He completed the film the next day and loved it, but brought the DVD to work in a paper bag as he thought it was haunted.
– The original ending was changed at the suggestion of Steven Spielberg.
– During the first test screenings, people started leaving the theater. Originally the crew thought this was because the film wasn’t going over very well with its audience, only to discover that people left the auditorium because they couldn’t handle the intensity of the piece.
– The entire movie was filmed in director Oren Peli‘s own home.
– To get his house ready for filming Oren Peli spent a year redecorating his house. The walls were originally stark white in every room and there was no railing to the staircase.
– Oren Peli got the idea for the movie from a personal experience. Late at night he was sleeping and a box of detergent fell off the shelf. The box was pushed too far back for it to just tilt and fall.
– Oren Peli shot the entire film with a home digital camera.
– All the crew had to wear black clothes at all times so that no colored reflections would show up on the walls or wooden floors.
– Micah Sloat had some filming experience as a cameramen back in college. Director Oren Peli often had to tell Micah to do a worse job filming as his shots looked too professional.
– Because of the cramped filming conditions many of the bumps in the night had to be added post production forcing the actors to react to imaginary sounds while filming. Paranormal Activity was filmed in just 10 days.
– The film was shot in 2006 but did not make into theaters until three years after.
– Dreamworks wanted to remake the movie with a bigger budget and better known actors rather than release the film as it was and use the original as a DVD extra.
– All the special effects were practically done in-camera, enhanced by director Oren Pelion his PC.
– Paranormal Activity contains no opening or closing credits.
– Oren Peli bought the Ouija board used in the film at his local Costco.
– The book Micah consults is a 1971 trade paperback from Dover Publications titled “Picture Book of Devils, Demons and Witchcraft“, by Ernst and Johanna Lehner.
– The role of Dr. Johann Averies was cast with a real Paranormal Investigator from the Independent Investigations Group, Spencer Marks. The role was shot to help explain certain anomalies in the film. The role was predominantly mentioned in the movie, but the footage never used.
– Paramount Studios utilized paranormal researcher, Christopher Chacon, who is recognized as one of the world’s foremost experts on paranormal phenomena, to promote and publicize the film. Chacon also works in the entertainment industry as a writer, director and producer.
– Survivor runner-up Katie Gallagher was originally cast to play the role of Katie, but was laid off because Oren Peli decided she was too “well-known” to keep the film as real as possible. Coincidentally, both Katie Gallagher and Katie Featherston have the same name as each other, and the main character.
– Body Count: 1 (Micah)